Pages

Saturday, July 18, 2015

The Making of 18th Century Pocket Hoops

Alright ladies and gents. Grab a snack and be prepared to read about the making of my 18th century pocket hoops. I used Simplicity 4092.

First, I cut out the pattern pieces and then marked them.


image

Then I sewed twill tape the width of the pocket hoops and inserted boning, which I also cut the same width, minus 1-1/4″



image
image

There’s three boning channels per pannier.

Then I pleated the tops of both pieces, both the left and right sides.



image

After pleating, I stitch bias tape to make ties. I sewed down the folded edges, then attached them to the panniers. Two ties per side.



image
image

Then I added ties for the top, so I could tie the panniers to my waist using bias tape again, and voila.


image

The pattern was easy...until I got to the part where I was supposed to attach the pannier side/bottom to the main fabric.. It took some SERIOUS fiddling to get it to work. And as a result, I am unhappy with the final result.

I already plan on re-making these in the future, using a different pattern. (JP Ryan pocket hoops)

I know it’s an undergarment, and no one will be able to see it but me, but eh, I’d rather try another pattern just to see if it comes out any better.

No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik