Pages

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Sew, sew, sew!

I've been busy sewing the mockup for Butterick 5935. I'm making view A. I'm also almost done with making the mockup of Simplicity 3685. I need to do the left lower sleeve and right upper and lower sleeve, trim the bottom of the jacket, and make a neck ruffle.

The lining, made from muslin:


















The main fabric for the mockup:

 

The inside of the main fabric, before pressing the seams:

Not too shabby, eh? I tried inserting the boning today but that didn't work out too well. The problem is that I didn't bother to order casing for the boning since it's plastic and thought I could get away with not using any. Boy, was I wrong. Stitching the boning to the lining is possible, but it's a pain in the butt. I ordered some bias tape for the real thing as the pattern says to use bias tape to cover the raw edges. I'm going to use the tape to make my own casings. All I'll have to do is stitch the casing within the seams and then insert the boning. Seems much easier to do it that way than what I'm doing now.

I had to chop an inch off each back panel because it gapped too much in the back. I am also going to have it close with hook and eyes. The pattern calls for eyelets but I have to be able to dress myself, so that's why I changed it. I will use eyelets at the shoulders though, that won't change.


As far as the mockup for the jacket goes, here's the progress I've made on it:




Overall, I'm happy with the way things are going. I feel like I am doing quite well for a beginner.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 

Template by BloggerCandy.com | Header Image by Freepik