Monday, December 30, 2013

Progress, somewhat.

The good news is is that I have a bodice. The bad news is that I screwed up a lot and I've spent so much time fixing my mistakes. After cutting the good fabric, and after sewing some of the bodice together, I made a big oopsie and cut fabric that I thought was excess. It wasn't.

This led to problems with the back pieces being too small, so I had to insert a back panel. That worked like a charm. I also had issues with the shoulders sitting too high up, so I had to lengthen it.

After I fixed that, I had to figure out how to stop the fabric from fraying. I zigzag stitched the armholes and neckline. I wasn't happy with the way it came out, so I started hemming using a straight stitch. I have to finish hemming. I also have to attach the skirt to the bodice and install a zipper. (JOY!)

I originally wanted the dress to be done last Saturday. That didn't happen, so I thought it could be done by Christmas. But I decided to take my time because I want the dress to look presentable, not half assed.

I'll work on the skirt portion tonight and focus on hemming tomorrow. With any luck, I'll be finished by the end of the week. Here's a picture of the dress bodice:

No comments:

Post a Comment


Template by | Header Image by Freepik